geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: XMLBeans, a quick comment
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 07:29:25 GMT

On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 07:49  pm, Jason Dillon wrote:

> Just looked at the generated sources and it does not appear that
> XMLBeans generated bits are intended to function in a non-XML
> environment.

What do you mean? That the generated beans depend on XMLBeans? Thats
true of Castor generated beans too isn't it?

> For example, if someone wanted to construct a bean just using APIs it
> looks like they may have to put in some dummy XML fluff, which is
> sorta silly IMO.  But I have not really played with it that much, so
> this could just be an assumption.

I don't follow.

> I would like to see that we eventually use a common tool for xml
> binding, but I want to make sure that such a tool will generate
> sources which can be easily used when XML is not there at all (like
> how Castor generates sources).

I still don't fully understand what you mean by 'XML not there'. The
generated beans from XMLBeans can be used as beans - though there is an
interface / impl separation - I'd be OK with just generating beans
rather than an interface + impl but I guess it gives some flexibility.

One unique feature of XMLBeans is that its not lossless. So if you
parse some XML you can tinker with the beans & write out the XML again
preserving any comments and so forth. This could be useful to allow
customisation of XML config files (say, via JMX) & then write them back
to disk.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/