geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@bandlem.com>
Subject Re: [JavaMail] Re: Geronimo standard Sun-API jars
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:18:27 GMT
> The problem is that there is a lot of code related to Mime parsing and
> Address validation needed to conform to the RFC's in javaMail, there
> are a
> lot of mail RFC's (http://james.apache.org/rfclist.html) and they would
> require a lot of work to re-implement.

They aren't a requirement of JavaMail; they are a requirement of
SMTP/MIME and related RFCs. It just so happens that JavaMail also uses
them.

> I'd be very wary about starting down the road of an Apache clone of
> javaMail
> unless it really offers serious advantages.

o Easier API to use to generate/send mails
o Less global configuration settings (JavaMail uses global system
properties)
o Conformant JavaBeans representation of MimeMessage
o Use of Mail.getAttachment() to facilitate attachments, rather than
presenting the low-level layer of how they are transmitted in MIME
Multipart formats

> Bearing in mind that any clone of javaMail would have to offer pretty
> much
> interchangeable behaviour with the official product, particularly if
> it has
> to pass tests, the issue of implementing the Store and Transport
> interfaces
> is where we should start, and quite probably end too.

I've got an implementation of Transport kicking around from before that
I can donate to the project, and I'm more than willing to give an
implementation of JavaMail ago. But since I don't have access to the
CVS repositories for dumping implementations, I'll have to send it as a
pretty big patch file :-)

Alex.