geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: JMX as a kernel (was: Re: geronimo and avalon?)
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 19:05:48 GMT
I think that it would be best for Geronimo not to use JMX as the
component bus, but use something else and then adapt JMX to it, as we
must have JMX support.

That said there are so many different component containers out there,
it is hard to find the one which suites our needs and/or requires the
least amount of hacking to get it to function.

I have had a look over several containers, HiveMind being one of them,
though I have not really spent much time looking at the details.

We need something which is small, fast, can plug in any sort of
component, which will support linking component instances to avoid any
hard coupling.  It needs to be able to support elba/jboss style
deployment and class loading semantics.  It needs to be able to be
adapted to JMX (possibly other protocols like SNMP too).  It would be
beneficial if it could provide dependency management as well as
component state management, or at the minimum be easy to provide layers
on top which can provide this.  It must not impose many restrictions on
how it can be used, nor should it impose any other application
functionality short of managing components.

This is just a rough blurb about the requirements for the geronimo
component container, I will try to write up something more formal and
drop it into the wiki in the next day or so... along with the system

I believe that the initial geronimo/elba hybrid will probably use JMX,
as it already works, but we will want to replace this with a more
robust system as soon as we can sort out how to build it.  Anyways, I
will put up some wiki docs and then perhaps some of the folks who are
more knowledgeable about these different containers can comment.  I do
not want to reinvent the wheel, but if the wheel does not fit the wagon
then we may just have to make a new one.

--jason

PS. Can someone write up something about the current state of the major
component containers out there with a feature blurb... no soap boxes,
just the facts jack.