geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: DownloadTest Failure when working offline/ behind firewall
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:51:01 GMT
There's a standard maven way to disable the running of the unit tests.
There are many goals which depend on this (site, jar, jar:deploy, dist
and so forth). Creating aliases for every goal in Maven to exclude
running of the unit tests doesn't really scale & makes things messier.

You're most welcome to hack your local copy of maven.xml to add
whatever aliases you wish for things though. Or write a shell script for

maven jar -Dmaven.test.skip=true

and call it build-no-test or whatever you wish.

I don't see a need to change Maven or our Maven build process for this.

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 09:24  am, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 08:59 Europe/London, James Strachan wrote:
>
>> No - unit tests are part of the build process and they should stay
>> there.
>>
>>> Either that, or a not-build-but-everything-but-tests target should
>>> be created; I've not managed to find one in Maven so far (at least,
>>> one that does everything bar test).
>>
>> I don't follow.
>>
>> // to compile just the code & tests
>> maven java:compile test:compile
>>
>> You can disable the running of the unit tests if you wish via the
>> maven.test.skip=true property which can be specified in your
>> build.properties or on the command line. What more do you need?
>
> In my experience in using Java projects (using ant, rather than maven;
> the latter is a bit new to me) there were separate 'build' and 'test'
> targets. I think there is benefit in a build-and-test target, but the
> problem is that a build is not just java:compile; dependent Jars need
> to be created, resources copied to appropriate locations and so forth.
>
> IMNSO the targets would be beneficial if ordered:
>
> build-and-test
> +-- build-without-test
>     +-- java:compile, jar:jar etc. as is at the moment
> +-- test
>     +-- test:compile
>     +-- test:test (or whatever the appropriate target is)
>
> That way, a developer could run build-and-test or build-without-test
> as desired.
>
>> No - unit tests are part of the build process and they should stay
>> there.
>
> Certainly I believe very strongly that there should be tests, and the
> ability to run them out-of-the-box. You could use whatever names you
> wanted for the above targets, so 'build-and-test == build' and
> 'build-without-tests' could have a different name.
>
> But having this as a separate target, as opposed to having to run with
> setting maven properties (on command line, or in properties file)
> would be a nicer way of doing it. You could even set up the target
> 'build-without-test' to set the maven.test.skip and then call the
> original build process ...
>
> Alex.

James
-------