geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: DownloadTest Failure when working offline/ behind firewall
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:13:57 GMT

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 12:35  pm, Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 10:51 Europe/London, James Strachan wrote:
>
>> There's a standard maven way to disable the running of the unit
>> tests. There are many goals which depend on this (site, jar,
>> jar:deploy, dist and so forth). Creating aliases for every goal in
>> Maven to exclude running of the unit tests doesn't really scale &
>> makes things messier.
>
> I question why those goals depend on tests. Surely it should be
> possible to build a Jar file that contains some code with failed
> tests; for example, if I am testing module X, and module Y has test
> errors (that I neither care about nor need) then there seems no reason
> for those to have to depend on tests.
>
> I also would like to be able to build the project, then run tests on
> the parts I am writing separately. I would therefore have to swap
> between build commands/properties for the 'main build' and 'test my
> components'.

Its standard Maven procedure on all Maven projects to work like this.
You're the first person I've heard who doesn't like it.

Like I said - its easy to disable the running of unit tests if you wish
- either on the command line, via build.properties or by hacking your
own maven.xml.

What more do you need?

>> You're most welcome to hack your local copy of maven.xml to add
>> whatever aliases you wish for things though. Or write a shell script
>> for
>>
>> maven jar -Dmaven.test.skip=true
>>
>> and call it build-no-test or whatever you wish.
>
> Already have done :-)
>
>> I don't see a need to change Maven or our Maven build process for
>> this.
>
> Sure, if I am the only person who thinks that running tests every time
> during development is annoying.

I guess you've not got gotten test-infected & caught the TDD bug then.

Remember you can use your IDE to edit code (e.g. eclipse) and run only
those unit tests you wish. You don't have to use Maven every time you
code something.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/