geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: web admin console (was Re: WebServices & UI team)
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:04:46 GMT

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 02:58  pm, Gary Yang wrote:

> This is really a very good app. But my suggestion is, we should define
> a set of admin API first, thereafter, 3rd party developers can have
> their own admin apps.

You could always use the MBeans and JMX as the Admin API (along with
all the various J2EE management APIs).

> I agree to the Tomcat admin console, coz it is better to have a
> universal admin console for all Apache app servers.
>
> Anyway, admin , IMHO, is not a high priority  module in Geronimo:-) We
> can't design this module if we don't have other modules' detail:-(

Agreed. Though since we can already deploy MBeans inside Geronimo and
have just about got web container deployment (e.g. Tomcat) inside of
Geronimo too - it'd make sense to have a version of the Tomcat admin
console that can add some extra Geronimo specific stuff. We're already
ready for a management console I'd say. Developing this in parallel to
the rest of the stack might help us keep APIs console-friendly.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/