geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: JavaMail APIs
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:01:43 GMT
JavaMail APIs (initial spec) are now available in the
Geronimo/specs/javamail (and Geronimo/specs/activation as a
placeholder). At present, the APIs are complete in the sense that all
methods are present; however, they are not fully functional in the
sense that I've not implemented all the methods yet :-)

I've also yet to write the mail transport/pop clients, so at present
it's a set of APIs that you can use to write JavaMail programs, just
not run them ;-)

On Friday, Aug 15, 2003, at 23:01 Europe/London, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> I believe you should probably post it here [on the geronimo-dev list].
>
> He did.  By accident, but he did.  :-)
>
> If we're to have a replacement for JavaMail, I wonder if it should be
> here
> or in James.  Any thoughts?

I think it ought to go into commons, eventually. That's why I was
reluctant to suggest it going into the specs/j2ee directory (even
though it's a required part of the J2EE spec).

My plan was to develop it in here, since I want to be involved with the
rest of the Geronimo project as well.

Long-term, I'd expect it to move to commons-javamail-api and
commons-javamail-implementation or some such; then /both/ Geronimo and
James can use it.

Of course, I'm not even a committer  (yet :-) so I probably don't have
a huge say in such things, but that's IMHO.

Alex.