geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel S. Haischt" ...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>
Subject Re: Hanging testcases [was Re: [properties]Why .properties instead of XML?]
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:34:49 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:

[...]
> 	But WRT the hostname, what I meant was that if your machine is
> called "workstation" you should be able to "ping workstation", and if that
> doesn't work, add an entry to /etc/hosts so that "ping workstation" hits
> 127.0.0.1.  It's a little chancy on Windows because I think Windows ping
> will resolve and use SMB names whereas Java won't (though it also may be
> different with/without WINS) -- I'm not sure how to do a good test on
> Windows.

if you want to lookup DNS names you must use nslookup on windows and
not ping. if you are using the ping comand, your workstation name
will always be resolved as 10.0.0.1. at least if using the ping
comand try using a FDQN (your workstation name + your domain name).

if you still want to use the more simple syntax of ...

  -> ping [my workstation name]

... you can try to add the following entry to ...

  -> $WINDIR\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

------8<-----------8<----------8<------------8<-----------
192.168.120.10	foo.bar.com	foo
192.168.120.10	foo.bar.com.
#
# 1) your IP address.
# 2) your workstation- + domainname.
# 3) your workstation name.

i've tested all of the above examples on my w2k machine.

regards

daniel s. haischt