geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <>
Subject Re: [clustering] automatic partitoning, state bucketing, etc... (long)
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:12:35 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:

>>In summary then, my locate/migrate-less approach (sorry to keep downing
>>your locate/migrate thang, Jeremy :-) ) requires the following fn-ality
>>from a smart lb...
>Actually, you're doing the same thing, just doing it in advance by
>reconfiguring the mapping in the LB. This assumes a) you can do that,
that remains to be seen :-)

>and b)
>you can do that quickly enough to avoid race conditions during transition.
I don't think there would be a problem here

A dies
requests begin to fall on to the next buddy - B
whilst he is holding the fort we draft in a new buddy for the group
underneath him and xfer state
when this is done we reconfigure the lb, dropping A off the top of the
list, shunting everyone up, and putting D on the bottom (at the same
time we can drop B's weighting, or consider how to share some of it's
surplus state with other nodes, or both...)

>See we're in violent agreement :-)
happy,happy happy !

I'll check out whether the lbs in question could do enough to support
this strategy and come back to the list...

 * Jules Gosnell
 * Partner
 * Core Developers Network (Europe)

View raw message