geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <>
Subject Re: Servlet and JSP engine
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 03:14:58 GMT

have a look at

where I have described the approach that we are taking.

The actual implementation of the web container will be tomcat and/or
jetty - but I would like geronimo to wrap those implementations
sufficiently so that you cannot tell which.   Thus for 99% of configuration
and management, it will be geronimo that you are dealing with.

The Abstract Web container classes have been created, but are a
little empty at the moment... we have been waiting for the component/container
model to stabalize.  Hopefully there will be some more progress this week.

Vikram Goyal wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have been following the list with quite fascination since it began. The
> volume of traffic has been quite overwhelming to say the least.
> I noticed early on that a conscious decision has been made to avoid
> developing a servlet and JSP engine and rather rely on embedding either
> Tomcat or Jetty. Is this correct?
> If this is the case, is there a rationale decision for this? If we are
> developing everything from scratch, then why not the servlet and JSP engine
> as well? It makes more sense than embedding other implementations.
> Regards,
> Vikram Goyal

  * Greg Wilkins
  * Partner