geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: FW: Use of "Geronimo" as a project name
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:14:44 GMT

I think it would be good if this information about Geronimo could be put
on the wiki FAQ.

Given that our meta name space uses the name of an entire native
american nation, I don't think it is inappropriate to call our project
after a prominant native american.

Surely if apache and it's feather logo are OK, then geronimo is also fine.

cheers

Jules Gosnell wrote:
> Guys,
>
> 'Geronimo', according to a quick google, is simply spanish for 'Jerome'
> and was a soubriquet given, probably by Mexican soldiers, to a
> particularly admirable Apache called 'Goyathlay'.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=jerome+geronimo&btnG=Google+Search

> Since it is not a native American name and already in widespread use, I
> really don't see anyone reasonable being offended by our adoption of the
> name.
>

> Jules
>

> Daniel S. Haischt wrote:
>
>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>

>>> Ok. True.  The Vikings probably weren't terribly popular,
>>> anywhere.    You probably didn't hear "Oh, good!  The Vikings are