geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: [JavaMail] concerns
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:37:27 GMT
Alex Blewitt wrote:
>> We've discussed creating a subproject in James to maintain
>> ASF-licensed JavaMail implementations, which historically has only
>> really meant stores and session (providers).  If it can include the
>> core implementation as well, so be it.
>

> Would it not be better to try and evolve it into a commons- package,
> though? It looks like it will be desirable from both James and Geronimo,
> and IIRC Maven is also something that could stand to benefit from it ...

I agree many ASF projects could benefit from an ASF-licensed JavaMail
(any app in ASF that sends emails, so almost all of them).  I would
favor either James or Geronimo hosting it.  Geronimo because it is a
J2EE implementation and JavaMail is part of that, and James because
we've suffered through JavaMail more than anyone, and hopefully will
have related libraries (mbox stores, new transports, whatever).

> These are longer-term goals, though; my initial focus will be getting it
> set up in Geronimo, and then bounce ideas of where it should live when
> it's ready :-)

Agreed.

--
Serge Knystautas