geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: [JavaMail] concerns
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:50:24 GMT
Alex Blewitt wrote:
> James isn't in the incubator though. Geronimo is. My understanding of
> the difference is that ideas can be tried, and then removed subsequently
> (or even replaced with the Sun API).

IMHO this is the strongest point... Geronimo is in incubator, so I'm not
so concerned about what the Apache community is obligating itself to
maintain.  If Alex wants to climb the Java-equivalent of Ben Nevis, more
power to him in the incubator environment.

> If I am the only person actually interested in this JavaMail API then it
> is clearly a bad thing if I go elsewhere/don't come back. And I had
> hoped that there would be a little more support for wanting the JavaMail
> APIs in the James group (hence the original cross-posting of the
> announcement), or indeed for other Apache projects (maven, ant, turbine)
> that may require the use of JavaMail.

I want it.  But I also understand Danny's concerns about long-term
maintenance issues.  I don't think Sun is doing very much maintenance
either though, and I never understood why they didn't hand it over to
Apache.

I would encourage to run with it and keep climbing through the clouds!

--
Serge Knystautas
President