geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Shane Caraveo <sh...@caraveo.com>
Subject Re: Use of "Geronimo" as a project name
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:17:56 GMT
Hello,

For several years now I have been a member of a small group of
educators, activists, etc. running NativeWeb.org (we provide a
yahoo-like directory, and basic technical services to various indigenous
organizations).  I'm also of partial native descent (as well as
european, I'm a mutt), though am not a part of any native culture.
While I cannot speak for any native culture, and I'm certainly no
cultural expert, I do have a little bit of insight I've gained over the
years.

Without going into a long email on this subject, yes, the use of
'Geronimo' by a non-native organization would be found very offensive by
at least some, if not many, native people.  You don't have to understand
it, nor will I attempt explain it, it is just that way.  HONOR's
response sounds to me fairly neutral on the subject compared to what you
might get from many other organizations.  Send the same question to AIM,
and you'll likely get a very different response.  From a western
perspective, this may seem like a lot of nonsence, but for many
non-western cultures, this is an important issue.

IMO If it doesn't matter to use a non-native name for your projects,
then pick something non-native and avoid sensitive cultural issues that
would only provide the possibility of sidetracking the project.

BTW, Apache, PHP and other projects have the same issue with not wanting
their names used by someone else (assuming I understand the license
stuff at least a little), why should it be any different for a whole
culture?

Regards,
Shane

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
 >> Hello,
 >>
 >> One of the principal concerns I heard about the "Geronimo" name is
that it was
 >> insulting to Native Americans.  Therefore I contacted the first
advocacy group
 >> for Native Americans that I found on the net (googled on Native American
 >> advocacy and clicked around).  This was the reply.
 >>
 >> -Andy

Foundation is
  While I
Native American

 >> Hello Andy,
 >>
 >> My name is Beth Brownfield and I am the Regional coordinator of
HONOR at the
 >> new Minneapolis, MN office.
 >>
 >> Thank you for your inquiry.  HONOR believes it is up to American
Indians to