geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: [JavaMail] concerns
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2003 12:08:33 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:
>>providing the implementation. From a community PoV, the files haven't been
>>in there very long but no doubt others will pick it up where it needs to
>>be handled.
>
> This is not a given. Geronimo is a new project, there is great scope for new
> code ending up being orphaned if a community of interested people doesn't
> gel around it, there is no guarantee that this will happen.

I agree there is that risk.

That said, I believe the James community would be fertile ground to take
over responsibility of the ASF-licensed implementation.  I'm planning to
push to adopt Alex's implementation into James once it's appropriate.
In fact, I was wondering how the activation.jar implementation is coming. :)

We've discussed creating a subproject in James to maintain ASF-licensed
JavaMail implementations, which historically has only really meant
stores and session (providers).  If it can include the core
implementation as well, so be it.

--
Serge Knystautas
President