geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [build] Dependency management
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2003 05:08:27 GMT

Jason Dillon wrote:

>> Write a base project.xml containing the common deps (like
>> commons-logging) and
>> other common info, write a base maven.xml that fires up a reactor
>> that calls the
>> 'jar:install-snapshot' goal, and life will be much easier already.
>> Declare all
>> intra-project dependencies as SNAPSHOT to make sure you always get
>> the latest
>> generated jar.
>

> The problem with this approach is that all modules now have extra bits
> on their class-path, which is not desired.

Dependencies should not go into a root defintion - you keep those in the
concrete project descriptors.  The value of the root defintion is for
things like generic information (orgnaization, committers, etc.).

> Also, I have tried using SNAPSHOT for intra-project depends, but Maven
> still tries to download newer versions from the remote repo which is
> silly and just slows things down.

Which is what you want if you have on-the-bleeding-edge dependencies.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org