geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aditya Gore <>
Subject Re: [build] Only run tests if something changed?
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 05:12:09 GMT
Slightly off topic, but we should have a bunch of pre-checkin tests
that one can run before each commit to ensure that nothing BIG is
broken in the app server as a whole. This might not mean much now,
but later on after the code base gets bigger, it might make much more sense.

Of course this does not address the need to run unit tests for a particular
module where a big checkin is happening...

Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 03:48 PM, Alex Blewitt wrote:

>>> This is a good argument, especially as more tests are added. Does anyone
>>> know how this can be accomplished in Maven?
>> I can see where there'd be situations where you may not expect that,
>> though. For example, JavaMail depends on Activation, and I could
>> change something in Activation (and only re-run Activation tests)
>> which breaks something later in JavaMail.
> This is exactly what I want.  If I change anything in the module (at
> all) or if one of my dependencies is new, run all of the module tests,
> otherwise don't.
> -dain
>  * Dain Sundstrom
>  * Partner