geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill de hÓra <b...@dehora.net>
Subject Re: Timer Service
Date Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:08:38 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
>>Please review the spec in detail - the EJB Timer Service has requirements
>>for persistent timers and IIRC notifications for events that happened when
>>the server was down.
>

> 	True, but I think we could write something simple using a file for
> persistence and java.util.Timer if we wanted to meet the minimum
> requirements.  There is no facility in the spec for cron-style scheduling
> -- the only scheduling options are millisecond offsets, IIRC.  Granted, we
> could certainly integrate a fancier package and offer more "value added"
> features.  I'm trying to say I don't think we *need* to go there unless we
> want to.

The only real downside to Timer it is the API. You have to cache a
ref to the TimerTask to cancel it later - you can't just ask the
Timer to cancel a task of a given name. You also can't pause or
alter the schedule a TimerTask, but that's just a matter of doing
cancel() and reschedule() against a cached ref. A Timer can be
wrapped with any extra functionality later and it would save you
writing the core scheduler from scratch. I wouldn't bother not using
java.util.Timer.

Bill de hÓra