geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is the official name...
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:00:24 GMT
Jason Dillon wrote:

> Is the official name (well the official tentative name I guess)
> Geronimo or is it Apache Geronimo?

To avoid any future name clashes, it is best to incorporate Apache as part
of the name.  That way if Sony decides to market a nifty new box named
"Geronimo" then there is no confusion between Sony's version and ours.
BTW, that did happen with Cocoon's name.

Also, I remember in the pre-incubation conversations some reservations
about using the name "Geronimo" in the first place.  In fact, it is a
sore spot with many Native Americans, and Geronimo was a revered warrior.
Out of respect for the Native American people, we might want to look into
a name that is not necessarily connected with such an emotional bomb as
"Geronimo".

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin