geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel S. Haischt" ...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>
Subject Re: WebServices & UI team
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:17:30 GMT
hello,

why not just having a abstraction layer that exposes a
XML file which contains an _abstract_ definition of of
a GUI. see below illustration ...

          ----- \
         |    |  \
         |    |___\
         |        |
         |  XML   |
         |document|
         |________|
             ^

      ------------------
      | XML Render Kit |
      ------------------

     --------------------
     | Management Layer |
     --------------------

... at the time i do not care whether the management
layer includes EJB interfaces etc.

the XML document could look like something shown in the
below code fragment:

--------8<-----------8<----------8<---------8<---------
<window id="1">
   <button id="2" class="FooBar" type="submit">
     <label>Hello</label>
   </button>
</window>
-------->8----------->8---------->8--------->8---------

using XSLT this could be transformed for example into the
following JSF (Java Server Faces) GUI element:

--------8<-----------8<----------8<---------8<---------
<jsf:command_button class="class" type="submit|reset" id="2">
   <jsf:label>Label</jsf:label>
</jsf:command_button>
-------->8----------->8---------->8--------->8---------

but beside that you can produces pure JSP, SWING GUIs,
WAP GUIs or even speech output ...

you just have to use the exposed XML document as a GUI
definition.

what i want to say with the above stuff, is that i wouldn't
worry about whether to code a JSP, Servlet, Swing etc. GUI
first, if you go with the XML thing you can produce almost
any GUI.

OXF (recently mentioned @ theserverside.com) for example
offeres a free XMLRenderKit that does something similar as
mentioned above (see attached picture).

  -> http://www.orbeon.com/oxf/doc/integration-jsf

but there are other projects that are using the above
XML abstraction mechanism.

  Wings: -> http://sourceforge.net/project/j-wings/
            http://wings.mercatis.de/tiki-index.php

  Scope: -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/scope/