geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Yang <>
Subject Re: web admin console (was Re: WebServices & UI team)
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:58:59 GMT
This is really a very good app. But my suggestion is, we should define a
set of admin API first, thereafter, 3rd party developers can have their
own admin apps. I agree to the Tomcat admin console, coz it is better to
have a universal admin console for all Apache app servers.

Anyway, admin , IMHO, is not a high priority  module in Geronimo:-) We
can't design this module if we don't have other modules' detail:-(

James Strachan wrote:

> There's already a pretty good JMX based web administration console
> inside Tomcat...
> Its currently using JSP & Struts and looks pretty easy to extend.
> Maybe that should serve as a base to manage all of Geronimo as well as
> Tomcat/Jetty? It also looks like it shouldn't be too hard to add some
> nice custom pages to make management easier - just generating stuff
> from straight JMX can often lead to a clumsy management console - this
> would allow us to make it pretty neat.
> It seems silly to reinvent the wheel when this existing web
> application already does most things we need. (I've added this item to
> the todo list).
> On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 09:22 pm, Rahul wrote:
>     Hi Guys,
>     I'd like to contribute for Web Services and UI (admin console) but
>     haven't come across any threads discussing same.
>     Any clues if there's been anything already initiated on same ?
>     cheers,
>     Rahul
> James
> -------