geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general] low signal, high noise
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 13:01:13 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:

> Different issue Alan.
>
> What I'm after are sub-lists. ie)
>
> geronimo-dev mail list then:
> [general]   or  [spec]  etc.
>
> At Jakarta Commons we have slowly managed to get the Developer list to
> abide by this, though no the User list 100% of the time. Although I [and
> someone else] suggested such a thing for Geronimo, the sheer number of
> people here means it's unlikely it'll manage to learn to abide by informal
> rules [my opinion from the Commons community].

The biggest caveat with separate lists is making sure that everyone knows
the critical one to subscribe to.  For example, software architecture affects
everyone involved, everyone should be at least aware of decisions going on
there.  More specific things can be moved to a separate list.

What ends up happening (or ended up happening in the past with Avalon) is that
the separate lists become islands of information and the people work in
isolation from the main group.  That IMO is a bad thing as we lose a certain
level of cooperation.  However with 186 emails just last night (from 5pm to
9am EDT) there is a lot to sort through.  I feel your pain, but I have no
real solutions for you.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin