geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Bartel <j...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: [General] Container interface and AbstractContainer
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:35:37 GMT
James Strachan wrote:

>> Some people like arrays, some people like Collection, others
>> prefer iterators.  I can see all sides and am happy eitherway,
>> so long as you are consistent.   However - JMX is not very
>> Collection friendly, well many JMX agents anyway.  Thus keeping
>> to simple types where possible is best.
>

> I do prefer to use Collections where possible...

Whatever works. I like Collections too. The thought in the back of my
mind was more to do with Reflection and typed parameters, but whatever.

> Maybe I've not grokked this code fully yet but either Container needs a
> getObjectName() or the addComponent() method should take an ObjectName
> right? This is echo-ing Jan's previous comment that Component should
> have a method...
>
>     ObjectName getObjectName();
>
> (Jan - you used a String in your previous mail - did you mean String or
> ObjectName - am guessing the latter).

No I meant String. JSR77 just mandates a String with a formatted mbean
name in it so it doesn't have any dependencies on JMX other than in the
MEJB. That allows it to support mappings for SNMP etc.

Jan