geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Component Management Principles
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:07:28 GMT
Alex Blewitt wrote:

> On Wednesday, Aug 13, 2003, at 16:42 Europe/London, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> The way components and containers work with each other are that
>> Containers
>> provide the entire environment that components live inside of, and does
>> _all_ the management of the components.  The approach not only enforces
>> proper IOC, but it simplifies the implementation of many types of things
>> from security management to interceptor heirarchy, etc.
>

> Absolutely. If you end up allowing components to manage/message each
> other, code can get very message and be incredibly difficult to evolve
> afterwards. I'm guessing this was one of the ideas behind my gut
> feelings against JMX as a Kernel.

There are ways to asynchronously message components while maintaining
predictability.  It would be trivial to adapt the EventBus architecture
used in many GUI applications to the server.  It is mainly the ad hoc management
that has me mostly concerned.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin