geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Mahieu <m...@twistedbanana.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: [JavaMail] re-engineering of JavaMail from specs?
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:49:11 GMT
Alex Blewitt wrote:

> Yes, but the question I have is whether I can legally read Sun's API
> and then write an implementation of it. I'm not going to touch the
> source code, but there isn't any way of creating a JavaMail
> implementation using the PDF Spec alone; it simply doesn't provide
> enough code.

Yeah the JavaMail spec seems a bit lacking in that department; maybe
they figured that a royalty-free license to use the RI would preclude
anyone wanting to reimplement it ;-)

> This is my problem; how can I implement the JavaMail API in a way that
> is legally acceptable by the ASF? Is taking the signatures from the
> API documentation legally the right way to go? Otherwise I don't see
> how this would be possible.

Well the maintenance revision for the JavaMail 1.3 API used JCP version
2.1 (*and* it's part of J2EE of course) so it seems logical that the
public signatures of anything under javax.mail would be fair game.
Though I suppose you'd still need clarification from Sun given the lack
of API details in the spec.

> Alex.

Mark