geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Pratik Patel <prpa...@ibiblio.org>
Subject Re: [services] getting service developers started - the initial component model
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:05:05 GMT
I've been following this list for a few days and was worried that
everything would get bogged down in a religious debate over the
container framework to use. I've looked in great detail at all three of
the ones James mentioned (Avalon, Picocontainer, and Jetty-like JMX
kernel). The simple JMX container wins in this situation because it's
simple and allows the most flexibility for both Geronimo kernel
developers and service/module developers. This point summarizes
everything nicely:

> * once all the required deployment options are available (EAR, WAR,
> SAR) and the ClassLoader stuff is working along with the interceptor
> stack; folks can then refactor the container using some real J2EE
> services to improve the manageability & codebase - based on real
> refactoring of working code rather than too much up front design.
> Indeed we can take a TDD approach to refactoring the container. So
> rather than guessing what a J2EE container should look now, we can
> refactor as we get there to improve it.

But I have to ask - why are there already plans for an interceptor
stack? I assume you mean AOP interceptors... Yes, it would be great to
apply some AOP, but aren't we putting the cart before the horse?

cheers
Pratik