geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bobby Abraham <babra...@cmusa.cc>
Subject Re: J2EE deployment verifier
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:26:22 GMT
One thing to note is that verfication done at compile time can only
check for some of the typical problems.

It can include checking for the following type of problems

- EJB meta data errors
- Check that EJB method signatures conform to spec and matche the EJB
meta data
- EJBQL is well formed and parsable

What is difficult to verify during compile is the following

- A valid container specific O/R mapping.  ie for a RDBMS does the table
  and columns a entity maps to exist and do they have the correct
data-types.  Binding the datasource referenced inside the application to
an actual, realized, datasource is often done outside the .ear file as
part of the container configuration.

I believe that jboss only reports these type of errors at runtime when
the entity is used for the first time.  Having an application fail
deployment is a much better solution.

The solution IMHO is a simple interface for each check performed and
then a subset of the total checks can be run at compile time and a
complete set of checks done at deploy time.

If the checks are modular and independent then the verifier will scale
well as the complexity increases.

Lastly I believe the checks should always show, where possible, the
exact paragraph in the J2EE spec that has been violated.

- bobby

--
Bobby Abraham
bobby@thoughtfulpeople.com