geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Monson-Haefel <Rich...@Monson-Haefel.com>
Subject LDAP Support in Geronimo
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:59:14 GMT
It would be interesting to find out how fast LDAPd's embedded lookup facility
is. If its fast, it would make sense to eventually use it for the JNDI
Environment Naming Context.  However, I still feel that having something quick
and lightweight now - a stopgap if you will - is better than waiting for LDAPd
to reach its first release.

That said, embedding a LDAP server into Geronimo would provide a solution for a
variety of problems, least of which is the JNDI ENC. It would be the nexus of an
authentication/authorization system and security domain administration. In
addition, it can be used for configuration and would make an excellent service
in its own right -- especially if its accessible intraVM as well as interVM.  It
could also be used as the CORBA Naming service, support for which is required by
the EJB specification.

Personally, I hope that LDAPd is accepted into the Incubator so that we can plan
on incorporating into the Geronimo project (provided it works and survives the
incubator process).

Whether or not we end up using LDAPd, Geronimo should be designed so that LDAP
servers of any make are plugable at some level. This would enable organizations
to leverage existing LDAP installations.  If LDAP is plugable (is that a word?)
it should be a simple to configure and deploy -- avoiding overly complex
bindings is important, IMO.

In the LDAP area I suggest we adopt a dual strategy of supporting arbitrary LDAP
installations via remote communications (LDAP protocol) as well as an embedded
solution (i.e. embedded LDAPd). If we are serious about LDAPd, perhaps those
folks could help with both strategies.

The one thing I'm not sure about i the Avalon coupling. If LDAPd is based on
Avalon would it still work as an imbedable service if Geronimo doesn't adopt
Avalon? It seems likely, but I think its worth asking anyway.

Richard
--
Richard Monson-Haefel
Author of J2EE Web Services (Addison-Wesley 2003)