geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Monson-Haefel <Rich...@Monson-Haefel.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo standard Sun-API jars (JavaMail)
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:03:14 GMT

James Strachan wrote:

> > public class Maillet extends GenericServlet {
> >   public void service(SMTPRequest request, SMTPResponse) throws
> > ServletException, IOEXcception {
> >   }
> > }
> > would have been a really good way to handle incoming SMTP messages
> > (viewing the Request/Response pair as a 'channel' rather than a
> > one-off HTTP input/output).
>
> I always wondered why more protocols didn't extend the Servlet spec.
> e.g. I wrote a JMS extended Servlet API (the 'messagelet API' ) as part
> of the Messenger project in Jakarta Commons and it worked out quite
> nicely. Processing email or SOAP requests would work out quite
> similarly too I suppose.
>
> Having said that - I think there's a common OO gotcha where we think we
> should reuse things because they're there & reuse is good. Its often
> better to use an API that accurately reflects what your actual
> application requires - rather than reusing an API just because its
> there. Otherwise you might find you end up with a leaky abstraction.

I think it would be a good idea to support Jame's current component model as
well as providing an adapter that bridges the gap between Mailets and the
Message Driven Bean model.  Both are useful.  For Geronimo the MDB adapter
would be useful because it would allow James to plug directly into the
message driven bean container system. There are some problems like
transactional messaging (perhaps James addresses this I'm not sure yet), but
overall providing Mailet support through the J2EE standard MDB component
model, as well as the "native" James component is a good thing..

As far as modifying James: That was never my intention. My thoughts are to
write an adapter, perhaps a J2EE Connector, that bridges the gap between the
James Mailet and MDB component model.  Obviously, a lot more research has to
be done on the topic before we know if this would work.

Richard

--
Richard Monson-Haefel
Author of J2EE Web Services (Addison-Wesley 2003)