geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Duty <jd...@jonandkerry.com>
Subject Re: Where to dive in?
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:42:05 GMT
Weston,
I feel the same way as you guys do.  I'm only 24 and Ive been a
java/J2EE developer for 3+ years (I can write good code but I'm no god
at J2EE), however, this will be my first open source project.  I''ve
been wanting to get into open source development for a while but I
really haven't found a project where I could get in and be helpful
(especially since every project I've found has been going on for a
while).  This project intrigued me because I could get in on day one and
because I enjoy J2EE.

I think that if this project is broken up into modules it will not only
make it more manageable but also give the newer people an opportunity to
learn and maybe even contribute more.  This will give a new generation
of java developers a chance to get excited about open source/J2EE
development and keep the flame going longer.  And it will give the
current industry geniuses a chance to pass on their knowledge and ideas
to their profession.

After following the posts on this mailing list the past few days there
are some REALLY smart and experienced people joining this project.  If
the younger/newer developers are given the chance to learn from them by
everyone picking a module group to focus on, I can't image the knowledge
transfer that could occur.  If not I can see the newer developers being
pushed aside and thus being turned off to joining an open source project.

Plus, open source has saved my a$$ a few times in my career.  I would
like to give something back to the community from which I have taken so
much.

Just a thought,

Jonathan