geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Wilkins <gr...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: WebContainers and WebConnectors
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:41:18 GMT

Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	I'm not sure I believe that the web connectors should be
> "configuration only".  If the WebContainer interface has a method for
> handleRequest(InputStream, OutputStream) or something like that, then any
> effort spent on optimizing the threading, networking, and associated
> configuration of Geronimo will not be lost by switching between Tomcat and
> Jetty (or whatever).

I think that if we were starting from a clean slate for the webcontainers,
then such an approach could be considered.

But tomcat, jetty, etc. already have very close coupling between their
connectors and their containers - where lots of effort has been put into
making it fast, efficient, etc. etc.

I don't think at this stage that it is worthwhile us trying to
insert geronimo code between the actual connector and the actual
container.

Thus I have proposed that the WebConnector services at this stage
a really just lifecycle and configuration managers for the real
connectors.  JMX is more that suitable for a WebConnector service to
talk to it's real connector instance.

But nothing in this design prevents WebConnectors and WebContainers
from eventually being implemented as you describe.   I see it as an
implementation detail that we will only be passing over configuration.

The important thing is to establish the connector lifecycle and configuration
as something managed by geronimo (and not managed by the implementation
of the webcontainer).

If the geronimo bus eventually does support passing streams etc. then we
could move to implementation of a shared connector thread pool etc
that would work with any container. However, in the short term - I would
see that needing much more work to change tomcat/jetty/etc.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins<gregw@mortbay.com>             Phone/fax: +44 7092063462
Mort Bay Consulting Australia and UK.          http://www.mortbay.com