geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Avalon Merlin - model-driven containment
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:28:22 GMT

Jason Dillon wrote:

> PS. Can someone write up something about the current state of the
> major component containers out there with a feature blurb... no soap
> boxes, just the facts jack.

Based on current directions (and subject to the usual votes within the
comming days) the Avalon community is about to release a container
framework – codenamed Merlin. The framework deals with a set of critical
container/component concerns that provide support for general component
models (not just classic Avalon).

In particular, the Merlin framework includes:

* component meta info - declaration of a component criteria including
configuration and parameterization requirements, contextualization
requirements (including contextualization strategy, casting constraints,
context entry requirements, optional and volatile entry criteria,
etc.)., service dependencies, general component type attributes, logging
criteria, etc.

* component meta data - definition of the meta model for declaration of
component deployment directives that instruct a container with respect
to deployment requirements - things like activation policies,
configuration and contextualization information to be applied to
components, lifecycle and lifestyle management and so on.

Combining the above two models together in a runtime environment enables
the establishment of a model driven containment solution (the
composition framework). Meta info and meta data can be supplied in
either XML or serializable form, enabling remote model execution and
management. Model execution is realized though the Merlin 'activation'
platform which provides the infrastructure for nested component
hierarchies, composite components (container that contain components the
define an implementation strategy that allows a container to publish
itself as a component), and the complete framework for configuration and
context management based on a model driven approach. The Avalon work has
already started on a JMX solution and with the introduction of the
activation API, the Merlin platform will be able deliver a very
significant level of management automation exposed via local or remotely
accessible JMX management points that reach into fine-grain controls
within the containment model.

Aside from all of the above - the Merlin platform provides a neutral
component type discovery system and an automated component assembly
framework. This ensures that the overall component deployment process
can be simplified dramatically, in some cases down to nothing more than
a couple of container directives.

The first public release of the Merlin platform should be coming out of
Avalon within a matter of days. From there on the Avalon community will
be leveraging the Merlin platform as the generic framework on which a
new model-driven solutions will be delivered. I'll try to make sure we
get release info to you as soon as it becomes available.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org