geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject [components] - lazy loading...
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 21:02:36 GMT
a chat with a friend, Shane, at work today produced these thoughts....

Imagine that rather than having a set number of configurations which all
load every service at startup, Geronimo could load just the components
needed to provide the services required by your deployables...

e.g. you are doing web development, so when you start Geronimo it just
loads the webcontainer component and deploys your webapp. You webapp
decides to load a javax.naming class so the JNDI service is brought on
line, it loads a javax.mail class and looks up a mail service in JNDI -
the mail service is brought up... etc

If we could lazily load services as required, startup time would be
greatly reduced, footprint as well, and the distributions complexity too
- since we could just ship everything and only what was needed would be
used.

just a thought to file away for a rainy day :-)

Jules

--
 * Jules Gosnell