geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Monson-Haefel <Rich...@Monson-Haefel.com>
Subject Re: JNDI Impl
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 19:29:53 GMT
These are excellent issues, Aaron.

Speaking only for myself, I envisioned a development track as follows:

1st. Develop, or otherwise obtain, a simple in memory JNDI ENC that can be used
across J2EE components. Something very basic, immutable, bootstrapped off a flat
file (XML?), and fast.  This will allow us to focus our attention only briefly on
the JNDI problem until after the first release of Geronimo.  I think the best way
to proceed is to see if we can adapt Tomcat's JNDI impl (which sounds very similar
to the OpenEJB's) to be useful outside of Tomcat. Moving it to the commons
perhaps. This may be the fastest because (a) we don't have to develop the simple
JNDI ENC from scratch and (b) that code is already under Apache so its would be
nice to reuse it in Geronimo.

2nd.  Develop, or otherwise obtain, a  fow blown  Java-based directory system that
supports the JNDI LDAP and RMI bindings. This service could be used as part of
Geronimo, or as a stand alone application.  This would require some thought about
how persistence should work and if it should be based on CMP or something else ...
personally I think you can accommodate multiple solutions.

3rd. Replace the simple JNDI implementation with the advanced one from step 2 OR
support both ... personally for performance reasons I think that's the best way to
go is to support both.  Those are my initial thoughts on the topic.