geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert \"kebernet\" Cooper" <keber...@kebernet.net>
Subject Re: RES: RES: "Virtual Hosting"
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:06:34 GMT

Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	Which reminds me, does anyone have any thoughts on the possibility
> and/or wisdom of multiplexing all network communication over a single
> port?  You know, HTTP, RMI, JNDI, IIOP, etc. all on the same port (sure, I
> have 7001 in mind)?  It makes it darn easy to configure, firewall, tunnel,
> etc. at the cost of (I assume) quite a bit of complexity in terms of
> initially accepting the connection, figuring out the protocol, and sending
> it to the proper handler.

This is one of those things I always HATED about WebLogic, though, was
that you couldn't feel confident about using the internal HTTP service
without Apache or something in front of it because it did all coms over
one port. That means I either *had* to have a freestanding webserver in
front of it, or accept the fact that my firewall had to allow
connections to the T3 port.

At least isolating HTTP (SMTP, etc) ports that someone may realistically
want to have going through a firewall is important. Especially because
many firewalls know how to inspect those service ports, and get really
upset when they see RMI or other such traffic over them.