geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert \"kebernet\" Cooper" <keber...@kebernet.net>
Subject Re: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:00:26 GMT
Newbie poster...

Alex Blewitt wrote:

>  From an administrator's PoV, it would be nicer if all configuration
> could be done via an admin console, and for the repository to be stored
> in a not-necessarily-human-readable form which was updated as the config
> was changed via the admin console (e.g. Web app)

While this may be a matter of some personal preference, I tend to like
config files over an admin cosole/webapp. Being able to
administer/maintain via a command line is imporant to me.

> The big problems with XML files as I see them are:
>
> o How would an XML file be treated if the server had to re-generate its
> config file (because administrator(s) made a remote change )?
> o How would changes that a text editor made to an XML file be re-read by
> a config file?

When I was working on a wireless app server a couple of years ago, we
always maintained application state via and XML file. Basically all our
admin cosole was was a fancy way to retrieve the XML file the
server/cluster was currently using, edit it, and push it back. We also
had a command line utility that let you edit the XML files, then force
the server to restart the application with the new config. It worked
pretty well. We just persisted everything back to the filesystem on the
servers when there was a change, and downed/re-inited the relevant
systems in the application.

> o Would you need to restart the server and/or dump the new config file
> to see the effect?

I should hope not. :) The system should be able to down/restart an app
without the whole server bouncing.

> Alex.

--c