geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Test <patr...@gwiasda.de>
Subject Re: [persistence] Some thoughts regarding CMP and JDO
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 17:06:05 GMT
Matthew Baird wrote:
> If I'm reading this correctly:
>
> 1. Version 1.0 is going to try and support several back ends other than just RDBMS's
(ie LDAP, XML, CICS)
> 2. You've already started to re-implement the persistence mechanisms.
> 3. Using the "front ends" of other Persistence frameworks equates to roughly supporting
their general API's and probably more specifically their Query API's, however all real work
will be done by the new persistence code on the back end.
> 4. You are open to integrating code/thoughts from several different persistence mechanisms
into the Geronimo-specific implementation.

> Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
>
> Based on those assumptions:
>
> 1. This is a pretty huge project with a rather large featureset. Supporting non-relational
backend stores is a major PITA without bringing a lot of value.
> 2. Do we need yet another persistence framework? Most people reading this have been involved
in building persistence frameworks in the past and understand the scope. Is there a solid
reason for not choosing something that is out there and just using that? At the very least,
it's a huge head start on the project which allows more time to be spent building aspects
of the container that don't already exist.
> 3. Isn't one of the Jakarta criteria "Alignment with existing Apache subprojects."?
> 4. Perhaps there is some show-stopper in the OJB design that will not lend itself to
being used as the persistence layer. Although it sounds like the designs are aligned.

> It really comes down to a build vs. buy, and in this case the price is $0.00 so it seems
to be a no-brainer. Why not turn the proposal upside down: Use OJB as the default back-end
persistence mechanism and lend your CMP 2.0 experience towards making OJB a better project
as well?

I think this is a good idea. I'm working with OJB in an Project and it
is stable and configurable. I think we shouldn't waste ressources to
make work again which is already done inside an Apache Project.

The ojb team around Thomas has offered  any changes of the codebase, so
I think it would be possible to integrate the features we need.

Patrick Gwiasda