geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bill de hÓra <b...@dehora.net>
Subject Re: One True Way (TM) of handling configuration files
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:29:48 GMT
Lyytinen Joonas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry, if my previous mails were a little confusing :)
>
> There are normally two kinds of configuration files for JARs/WARs/EARs. The first
> set of XML-files is specified in the J2EE spec (e.g. web.xml, ejb-jar.xml etc.) these
> MUST be included in the ear file. Then there is an other set of confiration files, which
> specify J2EE implementation specific stuff (e.g. in Weblogic: weblogic-ejb-jar.xml, weblogic.xml,
> etc..). IMHO, this former kind of configuration files should not be included in the EAR,
mostly because
> they are not part of the J2EE spec, and including them in the EAR/WAR/JAR makes application
> portablity between app-servers more difficult.

Lyytinen,

Call me naive, but... why does a J2EE server *require* a server
specific file?

I can think of two reasons:

  1. lock-in
  2. an inadequate spec

I think job one is figuring out whether Geronimo *needs* an
implementation specific deployment file before deciding where it
goes. For the most part these non-standard files seem to be a pita.

Bill de hÓra