geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Monson-Haefel <Rich...@Monson-Haefel.com>
Subject Re: JNDI Impl
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 10:20:30 GMT
The JNDI implementation I wrote for OpenEJB was really simple. It used a
binary tree to locate sub contexts and cached lookups for speed. It wasn't a
full fledged JNDI implementation in that you could not dynamically bind or
unbind objects. The JNDI Environment Naming Context is supposed to be
immutable after server start up. That's why its possible to create a very
lightweight implementation that is easy to maintain and very fast.

If you created a stand alone JNDI ENC it wouldn't be very useful outside of
the J2EE context.  It may be better in the long run to have a complete JNDI
implementation which is based on something in the commons. For the short
term, however, we can use something more akin to what I created for OpenEJB
-- its doesn't take long to create and is flexible enough to play nice with
other systems.