geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "John C. Dale" <...@downinthedesert.com>
Subject Re: [persistence] Some thoughts regarding CMP and JDO
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2003 04:17:13 GMT

Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Thursday, August 7, 2003, at 10:20 PM, jcd wrote:
>
>> Aren't we, in some respects, getting a bit overzealous about the
>> Persistence Tier?  Let's focus on getting the EJB life-cycle
>> management and transaction hierarchies dialed and designed.  Why not
>> gear efforts to the production of a solid BMP implementation with
>> Connection, Datasource, and Transaction management - get that dialed
>> and define a pluggable OPTIONALthird-party persistence interface.
>

> Sorry, CMP is my area of expertise, so I tend to get very excited.

Not a problem - I think we're all pretty geeked about the potential of
this project :)

>> What is the consensus out there regarding the use of BMP?  Is there
>> any desire to have the ability to 'unplug' any/all container
>> persistence services in exchange for a smaller footprint, lighter
>> weight implementation?
>

> What do you mean here?  BMP is very simple to implement.  I expect to
> have a full implementation is a few weeks.

Very cool - I was worred that maybe the cart was coming before the
horse, and that BMP was somehow being overlooked.

>> Concentrating efforts on the basic EJB container services might well
>> prove to be a quicker track to a stable, performing implementation
>> that can be extended to accommodate the various persistence
>> approaches at a later time.  It is my feeling that this approach
>> could postpone much of the inevitable analysis paralysis that often
>> accompanies 'The Persistence Debate."  Meanwhile, back at the ranch,
>> Geronimo is beating his drums to early release victory.
>

> The initial code includes pool, cache, locking, CMT, BMT, a stateless
> session container, and a bunch or other basic services.  We should be
> able to quickly have support stateless session bean, stateful session
> beans and bean managed entity beans.  What is missing are big things
> like a TransactionManager, deployment, JMS, and Webservices.

Am I correct in assuming, then, that you already have a solid idea of
how you want to implement remoteable components - stub code generation,
compilation, packaging, optimization (if necessary)?  Also, you don't
make mention of Entity EJBs above.  Do you have any design documentation
for the stuff you've implemented?  A class diagram, sequence diagram, or
even a component model would be helpful.

One thing I like about the freedom to implement BMP is the opportunity
to optimize SQL for my database via hints and proprietary keywords.
 Have you had any success in building something like this in to your CMP
implementations?

We have a lot of work to do, don't we :)