geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: geronimo and avalon?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 20:13:44 GMT
Jason Dillon wrote:

>> Nope, no conclusion. Well, the only significant one perhaps is that
>> building a J2EE suite on top of the framework avalon provides is
>> definately possible. I am not going to get mingled in the debate of
>> whether that is a good idea (me, I think a JMX-based microkernel
>> remains a bad idea, even though it is working so well for JBoss. But
>> that's just me ;).
>
> Can you explain why you believe that a JMX-based micro-kernel is a bad
> idea?

Yes, I could explain.

one question first: do you think it is a good idea to get into longwinded
theoretical/architectural kernel design discussions at this point? Will it
help geronimo get of the ground better / quicker? My ideas on software
archictecture might fill a book, yours too, and before you know it
geronimo spends a year coming up with a 0.1 release :D

>> Just know some of the avalon regular are listening in with an
>> interested ear to hear what's all the fuzz about ye olde Indian war
>> chief, and we're more than willing to help you evaluate what stuff
>> (if any) you want to use from the avalon project. And we can probably
>> leave y'all completely alone, too, if desired ;)
>
> I have had a look at Avalon several times in the past and very
> recently looked over some of the web pages... and my general feeling
> is that it is too bloated

bloated? Hmm. I can see how you would get that impression from
a quick glance at all avalon subprojects at once (we certainly have
a lot of code, all in all). I am guessing though that if you download
a single container distributable (say, avalon-phoenix-4.0.4-src.zip),
you'll find it rather compact and picky about what it does and does
not do.

> and does not provide some core functionality which Geronimo will
> probably want to have.

I'll bet the farm (no, I think I'll bet a shoe) on that!

> I am not against looking into or even using a pre-existing system such
> Avalon for the core component framework for Geronimo, but I am very
> skeptical about how feasible it will be to implement.
>
> I am very familiar with the core systems of JBoss, and hope to
> implement a similar yet enhanced loading, component model and
> deployment system.  It does not appear that any one system has all of
> the bases covered, which would mean that we would have a lot of
> hacking work to get something integrated and functional.

looking at the amount of energy geronimo has gathered in 24 hours,
I think you guys don't have to worry about too little hands to take on
a task ;)

> Anyways, perhaps we should start out with and outline of the core
> system services for Geronimo and the requirements for each, and then
> we can see which systems may be suitable for integration.

sounds like a plan. I'll be lurking :D

cheers,

- Leo