geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Standard @version tags
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:56:27 GMT
>> I spoke up and said that I prefer this as well. But as I sent the
>> message it occurred to me that the reason this keyword is not being
>> used is due to the HUGE debate over the @author tag (remember that
>> $Id$ includes the last person who checked in the file). Jeremy
>> politely
>> reminded me of this. Hence my vote of $Revision$ $Date$.
>
> To my mind, there is a significant difference between an @author tag
> and an
> $Id$ tag.  I agree w/ the reasoning for not including the former.  I
> do not
> think that this implies that we should toss out the latter.  The
> semantics
> of these tags is significantly different.

They are, and in an environment where 'coder != committer' there's even
less point in having $Id$ since it only tells you who put it in the CVS
repository (and you can get that anyway).

Turning it on its head; what does the $Id$ tag give you that $Revision$
$Date$ doesn't, and why is it important?

Alex.