geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [test] Junit test failed
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:00:26 GMT

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 09:08  pm, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

>> 1. org.apache.geronimo.deployment.scanner.WebDAVScannerTest
>>    you have to set up a WebServer with WebDAV enabled and be able
>> to access
>>    "http://localhost/testScan".
>>     after that the test is OK.
>
> This one is down to me.
>
> Does ASF have any mechanism for testing features that reply on specific
> infrastructure? Should we just separate them out and leave to
> individuals to
> test?

In the past I've done one of the following things for this.

* use Mock objects to simulate a real external service

* use a naming convention to separate 'system tests'. e.g. I've used
*SystemTest.java to denote system tests (test requiring a system to be
available, rather than a unit test case).

* sometimes you want to run the unit tests with different platforms -
e.g. different JMS providers or different databases etc. In cases like
these I often make a separate Maven project which typically reuses the
same JUnit code base but changes the configuration & compile time
dependencies to use a different driver/platform etc.

Any of those might help. e.g. tests requiring other infrastructure
could go into the 'functional test' project?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/