geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [General] Container interface and AbstractContainer
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:55:28 GMT

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 12:42  pm, Greg Wilkins wrote:
> James Strachan wrote:
>>>

>>> (a) I don't think the getComponentNames() adds anything that you
>>> couldn't get yourself from the getComponents()
>>
>> Its there for JMX agents & GUIs. Its just 1 helper method. (Should
>> probably return ObjectName[] as its only real purpose is for JMX
>> agents right?)
>
> Correct - but I'm happy to leave it for now as it is only a conveniance
> method and we need to get the core semantics worked out.

Cool. Should it be String[] then after Jan's comment that
getObjectName() should return String?

>>> (b) Is it true that every Component has an ObjectName? I don't think
>>> it does (necessarily), and I think this assumption could lead to bad
>>> coding ...
>> Am not sure. Thats why I brought it up. Either it does or we add
>> components to a container with an ObjectName. Though I confess to not
>> knowing enough of jsr 77 & 88 to make that call.
>
> According to JSR77 all our components should have ObjectNames.
> Jan has proposed that we add getObjectName to the Component interface
>
> (eventually it should probably be factored out to a ManagedObject
> interface - but whatever it will be on component).

+1 either way. Does a ManagedObject have to have an ObjectName? Whilst
we're all discussing it, if someone knows for sure it'd be worth moving
it to there & inheriting it.

> Maybe I've not grokked this code fully yet but either Container needs
> a getObjectName() or the addComponent() method should take an
> ObjectName right? This is echo-ing Jan's previous comment that
> Component should have a method...
>>>

>>> The point of having a separate type for Component is that it should
>>> be a component, not an ObjectName.
>>>
>>> If you were writing
>>>
>>> public interface JMXContainer extends Container {
>>> }
>>>
>>> then you might want to restrict everything having an ObjectName, but
>>> that's not necessarily going to be the case.
>>  Remember that this stuff is internal to the container. Any old POJO
>> or MBean could be used as a component.
>
> I don't think so.
>
> Even if they are POJOs, JSR77 requires them to have a method that
> returns the ObjectName of the MBean that represents/manages them.

I just mean if I add MyBean which does not have an ObjectName to the
container, we'd create a Component facade (maybe using a DynamicMBean
or whatever).  i.e. out in component/service developer land, we don't
have to have a getObjectName on all our components. The Component
interface can wrap other components such as arbitrary MBeans etc.

However inside the container itself to be JSR77 every Component has an
ObjectName. Or am I way off base here?

> So JMX infrastructure or not, we need JMX ObjectNames associated with
> our components if we are to do JSR77.

Agreed.

James
-------