geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Which EJB container? Which Web container?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2003 12:25:11 GMT
>> I think it should be possible to have many different
>> implementations of the EJB container and the user(admin)
>> should then decide which one he is using ...

Whilst I think it's a good idea not to be tied down to one specific
system for eternity, I think that Sun's J2EE spec fairly badly split
the EJB and Web containers.

As a result of which, pretty much every J2EE server thinks of the EJB
container and J2EE container as being distinct. For example, IBM used
to advise running Web containers on one node and EJB containers on
another node.

I'm a strong believer that the distinction /shouldn't/ be split because
of the terminology, but rather the EJB and Web should be in the /same/
VM process. It will drastically increase the performance of the
inter-Web/EJB communication since you won't have to use RMI as an
intermediary.

So, whichever the solutions are, they should be integrated in such a
way that when you run a J2EE application, it runs in a single VM which
provides both EJB and Web services. We should therefore use whichever
containers support co-existence in the same VM, and not go for
implementations which require being implemented in different VMs.

I also think that whilst some choice is good, too much can be
detrimental. What I'd like out of an EJB server is one that 'Just
Works' and I wouldn't be particularly bothered whether it used
Tomcat/Jetty or OpenEJB/OJB. Nor would I (as an admin) bother about
changing it.

IMHO it would be better to create a system that works well and quickly
with one set of components (and here, other Apache projects certainly
lend themselves) and not place as much importance whether parts of it
can be changed.

Alex