geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject [twiddle] Twiddle is now booting Geronimo
Date Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:55:45 GMT
I finished my initial checkin to allow a Twiddle command to start
Geronimo.

To start Geronimo, after building you can:

cd target
./geronimo-DEV/bin/start

or

cd target
./geronimo-DEV/bin/twiddle geronimo/start

Right now you need to be in the target directory.  I will resolve this
soon, but for now dat is how it be ;-)

Help (via ./geronimo-DEV/bin/start --help) looks like:

usage: geronimo/start [options]

   -d,--deploy <arg>    Deploy URL
   -h,--help            Display this help message
   -m,--mlet <arg>      MLet URL

So you can change the config urls.  It does spit out a lot of debug
too, which I will get around to fixing, though some of that is
dependent on getting the Commons Logging package to properly handle
trace for Log4j (patch pending... right James?).

Unfortunately Commons CLI does not order options, so the options are a
bit scrambled... need to see about fixing this.

Removed the CLI bits from Main, as StartCommand handles these details
now.  The top-level run goal should still work as I changed it to
behave like the twiddle script.

Twiddle boots with Werken Forehead to make the initial setup of
classpath nice and simple for me.  You can control Forehead via
etc/forehead.conf

  * * *

I still need to create windows scripts (ick).

Also we need to start thinking a little about the release structure.  I
am currently thinking of a structure similar to... well you know...
something like this:

geronimo-<release>/
     README.txt
     LICENSE.txt
     VERSION.txt
     docs/
     bin/
         <scripts>
     lib/
         <boot-libraries>
     etc/
         forehead.conf
         twiddle.conf
         twiddle/
             geronimo.conf
             <twiddle-command-configs>
     config/
         global/
             lib/
                 <libs global to all configs>
             resources/
                 <resources files global to all configs>
             deploy/
                 <deployments global to all configs>
         <config-name>/
             lib/
                 <libraries>
             resources/
                 < resources files>
             deploy/
                 <deployment files>
             tmp/
                 <temporary files>
             data/
                 <non-transient data/state files>
             log/
                 <log files>

I am wondering if anyone else has any ideas.

--jason