geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [i18n] Hardcoded message strings
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 18:07:38 GMT

On Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003, at 18:54 Europe/London, Cabrera, Alan wrote:

> I have run into many, many, occasions where developers who have
> difficulty
> with English appreciate i18n messages, I am certain that i18n
> exceptions
> would be no exception.  ;)  Maybe we can be defiantly targeted at
> English
> speaking developers.  :p

I regularly work across Europe and get first-hand experience of people
who would like messages in a different language.

> I want a fast and enjoyable experience too, it does not stop me from
> writing
> comments and javadocs or trying to format the code in a legible way.
>
> One thing that I know for sure, either Geronimo puts it in early on
> or, let
> us not kid ourselves, it will most likely never happen.

Absolutely. Indeed, the main reason for it not being in most products
is that it is very difficult to retrofit at a later stage. At least if
we start off with good intentions, it makes it easier in the long run.

Note that this doesn't necessarily apply to just Exceptions; we need to
find a solution for i18n in other parts of the code too. And by having
this discussion and passing around helpful suggestions and comments we
can find a good goal, and then people involved in it can put up a page
explaining how it can be done easily for the future.

I don't think this discussion ever intended to be a case of 'You are
not allowed to write code until this problem is sorted'; more, it was a
case of bouncing ideas about a good way to go so that we can achieve a
common goal subsequently.

Alex.