geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: [core] Directories w/spaces
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:32:51 GMT
How are you running it against File? Java 1.4 has a constructor that
takes a URI, but no constructor that takes a URL.

Are you using the URL.toString() to obtain a file reference?

I have created a URI based on 'file:///tmp/here%20there' and it works
as expected when accessing a file. Printing it out unencodes it, but
passing the URI in its entirety to a File constructor allows the file
to be accessed seamlessly.

import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;
public class Test {
     String u = args[0];
     System.out.println("\"" + u + "\"");
     System.out.println(new URI(u));
     System.out.println(new File(new URI(u)));
     System.out.println(new File(new URI(u)).lastModified());
     }
     }

java Test "file:///tmp/here%20there"

It would seem that all you need to do is replace URL with URI, and
ensure that the argument to URI is encoded. You will note that running
it with java Test "file:///tmp/here there" results in an
IllegalCharacterException.

String configFromSomewhere = ....
File file = new File(new URI(URLEncoder(configFromSomewhere));

works fine with spaces.

Alex.