geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Blewitt <Alex.Blew...@ioshq.com>
Subject Re: Newbie stuff - implementing SMTPTransport in mail
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:59:06 GMT
On Monday, Aug 25, 2003, at 10:07 Europe/London, Simon Brooke wrote:

> On Monday 25 Aug 2003 8:21 am, Alex Blewitt wrote:
>> Good call. I suggest working with the o.a.g.mail.SMTPTransport class,
>> though I think it is also desirable to have an AbstractTransport
>> abstract superclass that you can descend from. If there's any common
>> functionality that occurs, it can go in the AbstractTransport, which
>> will make it easier to write other transports later.
>
> Sun's implementation has
>
> java.lang.Object
>   +--javax.mail.Service
>         +--javax.mail.Transport
>               +--com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport
>
> Where Service and Transport are abstract. Do I have to follow Sun's
> class
> structure exactly w.r.t abstract classes, or do you suggest I fold the
> functionality of Transport and Service into AbstractTransport?

I suggest that where possible, some of the helper methods of Service
and Transport can be realised in AbstractTransport. (Don't know how
much of that could be the case, but having worked with some of the
Folder/Message things in the API code, I feel that an AbstractFolder is
certainly going to come in handy, and will be commiting such later this
week).

> In simple terms, are we seeking to implement a system in which someone
> can
> just run
>
> sed 's/javax/org.apache.geronimo'

No, the idea is that the code will use all of the JavaMail classes, but
the store/transport will be created using
session.getTransport().send(Message);

and 'magically' (i.e. reading the META-INF/javamail.default.providers)
return an instance of SMTPTransport.

> Final question: When I throw exceptions, what are the rules for the
> message I
> throw? Do I just throw natural language (English) strings, or do I
> throw
> tokens which can be resolved for i18n at print time, and if so what is
> the
> format of those tokens?

Still an on-going issue; for the time being, use the
javax.mail.MessageException. Once the [i18n] discussions settle, then
it will be something we can retrofit afterwards.

Alex.