geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Error handling] NullPointer or IllegalArgument?
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:46:11 GMT

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 10:30  am, Jason Dillon wrote:

>> Note on further checking - NPE is not an IAE. They're both
>> RuntimeExceptions but thats about it. Sorry Jason I think you're
>> mistaken - but it would have been nice though.
>
> Huh?  Was there another Jason on this thread...

DOH - I misread your mail (that'll teach me for giving up caffeine) - I
thought you implied NPE extends IAE. Sorry Jason! You really said
this...

> org.apache.geronimo.common.NullArgumentException extends IAE and
> handles the formatting of the message too, so you can:
>
> throw new NullArgumentException("address");

So we can all just throw NullArgumentException instead - cool.

To make life a little simpler if you're writing a method I've added a
wee helper method which checks for null & throws the exception if
required...

public void doSomething(Foo foo, Bar bar) {
	NullArgumentException.checkForNull("foo", foo);
	NullArgumentException.checkForNull("bar", bar);

}

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/